I have been on a quilting kick recently (although I don't consider myself a quilter, but that is another story....) and decided to make Wee a quilt for his birthday. I mentioned it earlier, but that was the project the universe was conspiring against me on with the delayed supplies. So, in my waiting for supplies, I decided since my nephew's birthday is coming up in May, that he also needed a quilt for his first birthday. (If you are related to said nephew and reading this and want to be surprised on said nephew's birthday, it is best if you divert your eyes away from the screen now.)
I used mainly stash fabric, since I started it right after I cleaned out my studio/office, but did manage to snag 4-5 new fabrics to include, since I didn't have quite enough in my color scheme. Have you seen Lotta Jansdotter has a line at Joann's? I bought a few prints....But hey, it went straight into a project, AND I am totally elated to have the leftovers in my scrap bin. I need to be doing more of this kind of crafting!
Here it is! All finished and crinkly from the dryer.
I went with grays and aquas and blues, perfect for a baby boy I think. Probably fairly gender neutral even.
I used the basic pattern from this book to do the quilt. However, I used this hexi template tool, which is really, really, really cool. It was pricey, but I already have plans to make another hexi quilt to go on our couch and I can see hexi quilts will become a go-to for me.
I added one extra row of hexi's to the pattern to make it a bit longer. Also, I did use a batting, where as the book said to use just fleece. I wasn't going to use fleece on the back, I was going to use a black/white/gray/aqua/blue quilting cotton, BUT, I found 2 yards of this really squishy nice fleece in my fabric stash as I was cleaning out, which I decided would be perfect for this project. Yeah stash project!
I am very pleased with it. This was my first attempt at quilting beyond "stitch in the ditch," and my lines are a bit wiggly still. I used a variegated cotton quilting thread in blacks and grays for the quilting, but you can't really tell unless you look really, really close.
I used rayon batting from Pellon that I had left over from my sewing book and it is lovely. I would definitely use it again. Also, this was my first time using 505 basting spray, and I ADORE it. It made basting SOOOOOOOO easy. I have done it by hand and with fusible batting so far since I thought the spray would be too stinky to use inside. But spray basting is my new basting method. I won't dread basting ever again! And it wasn't stinky, in case you were wondering.
This was also my first attempt at machine binding. I love to hand bind, but I decided since this is to go in my nephew's crib and will likely see a lot of washing, machine binding would probably be the best option. It came out OK, but I think I prefer binding by hand still!
The finished quilt is 39" w x 52" l after washing and drying, perfect crib and lap size. It is very snuggly!
Thanks for checking out my quilt!