Thanks every one for the fabulous response to the ornaments last week! Holly, Ivy and Steve seem to be an instant hit and I am so pleased.
I played around with the pattern this week and made a little Halloween decoration for my house:
I used Spud and Chloe Fine for these guys: MC is #7802 (orange), CC1 is #7811 (yellow), and CC2 is #7800 (white, just like in the original pattern). I actually just used the leftovers of white from knitting through the pattern the first time (and have enough left to make probably another set of both Christmas and Halloween ornaments).
I followed the pattern exactly with no scarf for Holly or Ivy. For Ivy's hat I made it a pumpkin instead. I switched to bits of the green Spud and Chloe Fine I had left from the original knit through (#7812) on R18, knit through R21 as written and then added a stem:
R22: Decrease down to 6 sts (I did [K1, K2tog] twice, then an extra K2tog)
R23-R26: Knit all sts as a 6 st I-cord.
Cut your yarn and pull it through the remaining sts.
On Steve I switched it up a bit more. Where original Steve was 2 rnds CC1, 2 rnds CC2, then 1 rnd MC, I instead did it 2 rnds CC1, 2 rnds MC, 1 rnd CC2 on the arms and legs to be like candy corn. On the body I used the same order (yellow, orange, white) and knit 15 rnds in each color (since Steve was conveniently 45 rnds). I don't know how I feel about him. I wanted him to be like candy corn, but I am not a huge fan of the white head. You might just stick with the stripes, it is up to you.
Ta-da! Halloweenies! I am going to post this as a project on Ravelry now as well with the modifications. I am afraid pregnant-brain is getting the better of me these days, so if anything is unclear, email me or comment and I will clarify.